Monday, July 22, 2013

Breaking Blood on Alabaster final post -- Murray Hall


http://www.outhistory.org/wiki/New_York_Times:_death_of_Murray_Hall,_January_19,_1901
 
This article was a huge driving force behind writing this story. I simply had to share it with someone, and so it began...

Murray Hall was from Scotland. Her real name was Mary Anderson. She was orphaned, and after her brother died, she put on his clothes and went to work as a man until she was discovered. Then she came to America.

Sounds boring, right? Uh, not really. The fact this woman fooled politicians and high society in New York for so many years it's astounding to me. I was fascinated by her history and simply had to insert it into my story and turn it into the backbone of this story with Bella’s past marriage with Roman.

A desperate woman in those days might take extreme actions, just like Bella wasn’t afraid to scream in Edward’s face, demand wages, hold a protest and slap him all the time, no matter how much she loved him. She felt downtrodden and unsafe, and a frightened creature will do almost anything for survival. Including Roman pretending to be a man, when he was in fact Romona, a woman, trying to protect her sister and her best friend whom she deeply admired, Isabella.


Doesn’t seem too far fetched after you read Murray Hall’s information, does it? History’s better than fiction a lot of times. And stories like hers blow me away.

Thank you to all of you who took a chance on Breaking Blood on Alabaster. I was really obsessed with this story for about a month solid, and I’m so glad there were readers for it. I really figured this one might not have any because it’s so different. I was happy to be proved wrong. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Share, share, share!